My Bachelor Resume


I never thought I would be the type of person to write something like this, but after thinking about it for a couple weeks (ok, months!), I figured why the heck not try it on out? I'm not much of a feelings person and don't really love the attention- which is quite funny considering I post photos of myself on my Instagram and my blog basically 24/7. #oops But we're going to just go for it, because hearing about someone else's dating experiences is fun, right?! (Please tell me you are nodding your head, "yes")

Over the last few weeks, even months, I've thought lot about being a single lady living on my own in a studio apartment. A strong, independent woman! This thought might absolutely terrify many people and to others it could simply be no big deal. Now, I'm definitely not your psychiatrist or dating expert, but surprisingly, I've dated quite a few guys -or at least had wacky dating app experiences with- that really just keep me on my toes and add "experience" to what I call, my Bachelor resume. Another disclaimer: these experiences aren't all that crazy, but do make for good stories!


While I could go on and on about the Jewish trifecta of men I dated on college all interestingly with name J (only intriguing because I come from a conservative Catholic family), or the one guy who begged me to go on dates until I finally asked if his girlfriend Lani would be joining us to- which I got radio silence and a block on Facebook (PS we were never Facebook friends...), to that sweet boy I car pooled with in preschool who decided it was a good idea to try and date me and then ruin it by bringing a random chic to the Halloween party who he just met at a bar to "make it clear" we were just friends (don't worry buddy, it was crystal clear and I wasn't even attracted to you.. ok?!), and last, but never least the fella who I used to write about in my grade school journal with hearts around his name who FINALLY asked me on a date. But, day of decided it was better to ghost me for the second time. #weirdo Oh, and the most recent... the fella who doesn't like chocolate but took me to a hot chocolate restaurant for our date and then brought a giant ball of plastic wrap with candy inside as a game to play.... It's a longgg story. Ask me about it sometime when you need a good laugh :)

*As a side note: I have gone on some really great dates, too, like when one guy took me to a Cubs game - I mean best first date ever! (but, guess he didn't think so lol) - and even last week when I went to drinks with a very normal and sweet fella. Good news: We're still talking and he hasn't run off yet. The future might be promising, guys!
   UPDATE: turns out the guy I went to drinks is also an idiot. Had a great few dates and then he fell off the face of the Earth. WTH dude?

Anyways, now that you've officially read my longest run on sentence on a preview of guys I've dated, let's get to what I was actually planning to write about..... why life isn't the worst when you're single at 24 (5 months until I'm 25. It's June 1 if you want to pencil that in to your new planner). 

For much of my life, I've grown up living with someone. From the beginning with my parents to freshman year of college with a random roommate (that's a whole other post for the books) to my 200+ sorority sisters, four senior year roomies and a first city of Chicago friend, I've always been living with someone. Once my lease was up this last June, I was actually supposed to live with another friend and things fell through last minute. It's a VERY long story, but the conclusion is: I had just about 3 weeks to figure my shit out. Well, that meant I was searching for a studio apartment. Something of my very own. At first, I was a little freaked and the person I was going to live with didn't exactly have the nicest things to say about me living alone. Needless to say, feelings were hurt, I cried a lot and then got over it :)

But honestly, living alone and being totally single over the last several months alone has been the best thing I could have ever asked for. As I mentioned, I'm a fairly quiet person, however, once you get to know me, I'm spunky, sarcastic and funny with a whole lot to talk about. I blame the quietness to being the middle child. What can I say, my brother and sister are quite chatty! It really is true that people say it's good to live alone for some time in your life. I've learned so much about what I like/dislike, how to handle my feelings and my friends, managing my finances, and so much more. 

I also thought people were full of it when I read blogs about "how you will find yourself when you're single" but I actually believe it now. 

Don't get me wrong, would love to find a great fella, but I'm a full believer in the timing and the whole "everything happens for a reason." It'll be a fun surprise, right?

I don't know if it's because our newest season of The Bachelor has just returned to TV last month and I'm pretty sure every woman on the show is 23 years old (I mean come onnnn Nick) or that about a million people literally just got engaged over the past two months OR that in all reality, I know there are other people out there just like me. Whatever the case, I was interested to spew my thoughts on this hefty old MacBook for your reading pleasure. Maybe 2017 will be the year of romance... maybe? 

I will say, over the past 6 months of living alone and being single, I learned quite a bit like...
  • the importance of true friendships and girl's nights
  • how petty drama is completely unnecessary (we aren't in high school anymore, guys)
  • how much I enjoy working in my field and getting to do what I do every day
  • that it's ok and totally worth it to splurge on travel adventures
  • you can dance like no one is watching...literally
  • how much I need to get myself in to a routine for the new year no matter how early it gets dark or how cold it is outside ;)
  • you have no one to blame for not doing the dishes but yourself
  • treating yourself is totally a thing and needs to be done. Looking at you massages and manicures!
  • sometimes a whole lot of silence is just what the mind needs 
and last, but not least... it's ok to be single :)

XO
katie

12 comments

  1. Love this post Katie! Being single is truly the best, and you learn SO much about yourself! Enjoy it while it lasts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear Audrey! Seriously am surprised at all the great things that have come from living along haha

      Delete
  2. Okay I LOVED this. This post spoke to my soul. Until last June, I had been what I refer to as "chronically single". Over 5 years of singledom and 3 years living alone, I learned SO much about myself. To the point that I had thought about who I was when I was in my last relationship and realized that I'm an entirely different person now. I always encourage my friends to experience living alone at some point if it's possible - because you think you know how to be an adult when you graduate college, but you really don't know what it's like until you're living alone, get sick and have no one to take care of you.

    Even now, in a happy relationship (which truly was the biggest surprise), I still find myself a single girl at heart. I still value alone time, girl time and treating myself. I make those a priority in my relationship and maintain a level of independence (which I find extremely important in successful relationships).

    All of that being said, sometimes it's easy to get down while single and other people really don't help – lots of questions of why you're still single or pity-induced "you'll find him when you're not even looking" reassurances....when I didn't even ask. It really can suck sometimes, but the benefits and lessons learned from that time in my life totally outweigh the shitty things.

    This has turned into the longest comment ever. In short, you're AMAZING as is and don't need a man to complete you. When he does come around, he'll respect your independence and complement your best qualities.

    I want to hear more about the most recent date!! Let's hang out soon.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH! Love this response, Kaylee! I feel like we are 100% on the same page and of course, you are the lucky friend who gets to hear all my crazy dating adventures :) I'm totally the type of person who once I get in a relationship, I think I'll be the single girl at heart too! Just because I know the feeling of being left behind through friendships, and it's not always great. So thankful for all your helpful advice and truly appreciate your thoughts on this!

      Delete
  3. Love love love this!! So glad you went for it. I can honestly say I've learned more about myself living alone the past month and a half than I have...ever. Also, loved your bit about dancing like no one is watching (that's me) and I was just telling my best friend I have no one to blame for the dishes in the sink or the laundry in the washer/dryer hahah

    26 and Not Counting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Living alone has been the best surprise. So many exciting adventures and of course, reminders that someone has to clean the darn apartment!

      Delete
  4. Love, love this Katie! Honestly, you will be so happy that you had this time on your own, but I remember all to well how challenging it can be. It really forces you to become comfortable in your own skin! So happy to hear you went for it though, they'd be crazy not to have you!

    Heidi || Wishes & Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So, so true - even when I thought I was already fine doing my own thing, this has taught me so much more. Miss you Heidi!

      Delete
  5. I love this post Katie and I wish my 24 year-old self could have read this, it's exactly how I felt! Thank you for sharing such real feelings, I think so many girls can relate to this! Just keep on being your amazing self and you'll be just fine!

    Love ya!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Sarah! Really appreciate that you took the time to read this - I know it's fairly long haha Love you and so happy to have all our girls nights to make living alone a little less lonely :)

      Delete
  6. I loved reading this! Thank you so much for sharing!
    We all have some really crazy dating stories in life, and hearing yours makes me not feel so alone. Being single is a fairly new thing for me and dating is an even newer one. I've had some great long term relationships, but being alone and dating is hard. And a bit scary. Thanks for making me not feel so miserable about it!

    http://moosmusing.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So appreciate you taking the time to read my post Mariah! Totally on the same page - dating definitly does not come easy to me, so knowing other gals are out there in the same boat makes it all a little less daunting! Best of luck finding a wonderful man xoxo

      Delete