Commit to Something with Equinox



I have some exciting news! I'm so pumped to share I have started working with Equinox as a Chicago ambassador. If you aren't familiar, Equinox is a luxury fitness company in the US and Canada. At the beginning of the year, they launched their Commit to Something campaign as an intimate, provocative and deeply moving exploration of personal identity. So, I'm joining them in the spirit of all things commitment.

Let me first preface the rest of this post by saying, I'm not one to write about body image unless it's positive and uplifting. So, if you're looking for diet tips, how to be skinny or any other way to slim down.. please do not follow my blog because you will never find that here.


Last week when I posted a picture from this shoot, I picked apart every little piece of the photo and almost didn't post it. Everyone has their struggles- men and women- with body image. Yes, some are much more severe from others, but it's still happening every second of the day especially when we have social media and celebrities in our face at any given time. Don't tell me you don't watching Bravo, E!, or read a glossy mag in the check out line.

I'm committing to positive body talk.




Instead, I'm going to sit here and tell you that you are a beautiful person, my friend! Next time you want to say, "uh I have to eat a salad for lunch today" or "I can't believe I just ate that piece of pizza" or "OMG how does she look like that?!" Just take a minute to think before speaking. We forgot that celebrities have all of the means to afford luxury wellness/fitness items and that everyone's bodies respond in different ways. You might not believe me, but trust me when I say you are stunning the way you are. You can be healthy and curvy, just like me.✌

Growing up, I took dance lessons. I started out in ballet as a tiny nugget, then switched to Irish dance and then, went back to ballet/jazz/modern in high school and college. Growing up in high school is rough and changing bodies do not add to that haha I had to wear a leotard and tights to all of my dance classes. I'll always remember how I thought I was too tall and skinny in comparison to the girls in class with me. I actually hated it when they would make comments about how good I looked in my leotard and how they felt so awful about themselves because I thought they looked amazing! You really never know what someone else is feeling or thinking.





There was a time when someone extremely close to me struggle with an eating disorder for a few years. While I didn't personally struggle, I know a lot about that area of disorders and know it's not a road I am ever wishing on anyone. I'm not going to get in the entire story, as it's not mine to tell, but I'd like you to read her story first hand. She is an amazing writer (who also happens to be my beautiful sister 😉), and I think everyone could use a minute to read it. It's so important to have a positive community of friends and family surrounding you. What I'm ultimately saying here is I don't work out to get skinnier. I work out to be healthy, have more energy and feel fit.

I'm committing to a healthy and energizing lifestyle.

On another, less deep note- just the other day, someone made a nice compliment about my legs (and it was far from being anything weird or sexual which is a rarity).  Instead of saying "thank you," I stupidly tried to make a weird joke about "oh well, I shaved today!" Yes, I told a very cute boy I shaved my legs instead of taking the compliment. And this, friends, is why I'm still single 😂

In all seriousness, I'm really bad about taking compliments. It's weird because all I do is post pictures of myself, but I don't do it for the attention. There is a reason why I work in PR. I do all the exciting things behind the scenes and my clients get all of the love and attention. I was recently asked/told "you don't like being vulnerable, do you?" and well, when you put it like that ... I guess I don't! I'm getting way in to this now, but I'm actively trying to work on it. Bare with me, people.

I'm committing to taking compliments, but also giving them!







I'm sharing all of this with you because it holds me accountable. Not to just the physical aspects of this commitment, but mentally. Equinox reprised the theme of commitment to provide a more personal take on a concept already central to its mission. I love that the brand empowers members to discover their maximum potential, and this campaign challenges us to take action and celebrate dedication—within ourselves and others.

I hope you'll join me in making a commitment to something, too!

XX
katie

11 comments

  1. LOVE THIS!!!! Girl, you look amazing! Also, body like a back rub...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm crying. I love you and I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the part about giving compliments! I think we could all be better at receiving them. It's so easy to brush them off as nothing, but it's empowering to say thank you and really mean it! You look smokin' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? We are way to hard on ourselves and need to appreciate all the credit! You're pretty smokin yourself!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely stella post Katie! You look gorgeous and these shots are jaw-droppers!

    Xoxo,

    Ashley || Sed Bona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ashley! Appreciate the kind words and hope to see you soon!

      Delete
  6. I love this post Katie! You are beautiful inside and out. I have to say, after exercising on a regular basis for the past two years the largest change that I've noticed is in my mental health. I'm just generally happier now than I was before and that in and of itself makes it totally worth it.

    Heidi || Wishes & Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! It's not even about the numbers at this point, it's the mindset and lifestyle of feeling so much better. Now, I need to get myself in a regular routine and step on it! haha

      Delete