MY #REALBLOGGERBEAUTY STORY

I love how perfectly imperfect this photo is. Thought I'd change it up just a bit for the new post! [via]
It has taken me a bit to decide what I am going to write for this awesome campaign. I was so happy to see Maya take initiative and point out a problem in the blogging world and beyond. There is a constant sense to strive for perfectionism. I battle it every time I want to post on Instagram, when I am figuring out what to wear day to day, the pictures and graphics I post to my blog, and my overall attitude towards others. It can literally consume our lives. So today, I will get a bit serious on the LBB.

It’s time to use this amazing platform and readership for something real.

Personally, I have been lucky to not let the idea of perfectionism take over my life in an unhealthy way. This meaning an eating disorder, depression, or other mental and physical disorders. – but, that doesn’t mean it still doesn’t effect me. I have seen this idea take an icky turn in the lives of many of my family and friends, and that’s why I choose to stand firmly against it and look at the ways God has made me beautiful and unique. It sounds cliché, but we don’t share our confidence enough.

Instead of getting up every morning and looking at yourself in the mirror to critique yourself, why not look at those things that make you beautiful. Whether that is something you love about your body, the view out your window, the comfy apartment you live in, the cute shoes you’re going to wear to work – no matter how little, it something and it is better than any negative thought you could think of.  A huge reason I started Mizzou Against Melanoma while in college was not only to educate and advocate on safe sun tips, but to show that you can be confident in the skin you’re in. This was a daily reminder for me personally as I was in the processes of educating those around me. Why try and be something you’re not? It’ll only give you wrinkles and an increase chance of skin cancer! (Play up the young, fresh skin tone while you have it :) )

Additionally, I blog because I love everything about personal fashion and style. I shouldn’t compare myself to other successful bloggers out there and instead I am trying to work on admiring their work and looking to them for advice and tips.  Julia, from Gal Meets Glam, is someone I wish my blog could be like. Her readership is outstanding and pictures are beautiful every. single. time. Not to mention, she has an adorable husband. (let’s face it: I’m still single). However, instead of envying her success I have to understand that although it looks great from my angle, she has to work hard, and I’m sure she has struggles on her end. It’s not always as clear cut as the photos. Now, I’m not saying she has any troubles or bumbs (I want to be clear that I'm definitely not judging her in anyway as I believe she has an outstanding blog and I'm sure even better persona), but I am saying she is human and I can tell from her blog how much work she puts into it.

I was so lucky to meet Maya, Sarah, Caitlin, Lauren, and Jas at Go Blog Social who are willing to help a young blogger like myself. Anytime I had questions or wanted to talk about the professional world, they have been there to answer my questions and provide advice. This is what I am so appreciative of in the blogging world. These women haven’t run away from me because I ask a simple how-to question, rather they step up and offer guidance.

It’s this support that leads to success.

I hope you were able to connect, even if it was just a sentence, with this post today. I really do appreciate you reading it. If you are looking to read more stories about the #realbloggerbeauty campaign, please link up over on Maya’s blog at Charmingly Styled. You won’t regret it!

XO
katie


I’d love to hear any feedback about this post. Don’t forget to leave Maya a message for all her hardwork putting this together!

16 comments

  1. I think this is a wonderful, well said post! I absolutely agree that support is what gives each other the strength to do what we do! Being a new blogger myself, it's sometimes frustrating to admire everyone else's work and hope that mine can be the same. I think you have a wonderful blog and I can't wait for more :) Keep in touch!

    xoxoTeresa
    theteresanicole.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Teresa! I'm glad I have a new friend to share these blogging experiences with, even if it's virtually!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely girly! Any time :)

      Delete
  2. i'm really enjoying reading all of the posts from maya's linkup today :) i touched on a similar topic as you today - comparing myself to other bloggers, especially the ones who have "made it" like julia. it's tough not get down on yourself when others are achieving things you want but haven't, so i also try to focus on the positive aspects of my life instead. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't Maya done such a great job? But like she mentioned, we have to be grateful for all of the positives in our lives and that confidence will come and translate into our work and it's great to see you are doing just that!

      Delete
  3. It's hard not to play the "compare" game. I love the look and feel of your blog! Maya is the sweetest and I'm so happy that she brought us all together with this campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comparing myself to others is my biggest blogging struggle, but am glad to hear I'm not alone through this campaign. Maya really is the nicest and I'm so happy to see the impact this campaign has made. Hope to meet soon xx

      Delete
  4. I could not agree with you more, Katie. I recently took a break from Instagram because, like blogging, it made me feel this pressure to be perfect and I grew envious of others. So not worth it! I've learned we all have unique gifts and talents worth celebrating -- and a picture can only show one part of the story! Thank you for your blog. Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a huge focus of this campaign, and I'm trying use the Instagrams to inspire my pictures and to improve the quality, but not to put myself down. Just have to remember that it's not always perfect behind the lens!

      Delete
  5. I totally understand what you mean about comparing yourself to bigger bloggers. I remind myself constantly that their outward appearance and curated blog is only part of the story. So, I just be me and keep on keeping on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely hard, but tips of reassurance, like yours, always help!

      Delete
  6. The rule of thumb I've used for myself is that once blogging stops being fun for me, or my reasons for doing it change, I won't do it. I love your feelings on the issue :) Also, always here to answer any blogging / career ?'s you have sweet girl, thanks for the lovely shoutout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true and I totally agree. Thank you for always being so kind! Hope to see you again soon!

      Delete
  7. I love that I'm not the only one who looks in the mirror and tries to be positive about what they see, but I LOVE the idea of looking beyond you and seeing what else there is you can be happy about. I'm adding that to my morning ritual tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Katie! I have just discovered your blog through your giveaway from A Thing Created. I love love this post. As a reader of blog I often feel overwhelmed and like my clothing, make up routine, and life in general isn't what it should be and not glamorous enough. I love Gal Meets Glam but sometimes it's not the kind of inspiration I'm looking for. You blog is relatable and really inspiring! Thank you for this post and for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily! Thanks for your sweet words about my blog. I always love hearing from new followers. I frequently go back to this post because I am still SO connected to social media and Instagram in general. I will literally go through my feed and get disappointed because other awesome bloggers are doing so much better than I. It's great to have this post as a reminder that we are all different and that even the people behind the pictures aren't perfect, ya know? I hope you'll keep up and that I'll hear from you again soon!

      Delete